OK well it’s my first plaster mold in about four decades….
I’m taking a ceramics course at Spokane Falls Community College. At the time of this writing I’m a bit less than half way through my third quarter. (see back2school section of this site)
Among other projects I’m attempting to make several Propeller beanies that are the logo of a microprocessor by Parallax.com I’ve created several projects with. (click here for a view of the logo). You see I also like to program computers and dabble a bit in electronics, artificial intelligence and robotics… (see nerding and projects of this site)
I can really see where a properly designed and setup studio would be nice. I did this on my garage work bench. I’ll grab a shot of the clean up when I document the removal of the mold from this casting rig.
Click on these pictures for enlargements.
Here I am a bit into the project. You can see the clay dam I’ve constructed on a bat surrounding the hemispherical shape of the beanie I created on a throwing wheel. There is some petroleum jelly I’m using on the bat and the beanie where I don’t want the plaster to stick.
I’ll probably just edit this and repost tomorrow after I’ve removed the mold from the cast.
Wow before submitting this to my site for publishing I went out and checked the plaster. It’s setup pretty solid already. About thirty or forty minutes now. The book I read said let them dry for a week. Think I’ll go check that for context might have that wrong…
c ya… – jeffa May 2, 2010 15:05